International Travel Policies & Resources

CSU international travel policies and procedures are in place to promote student and faculty mobility abroad, to facilitate support for international travelers as they prepare for and participate in programs abroad and to consider health and safety at all stages of the travel process. Departments managing programs and participants in education abroad or other types of international experiences are responsible for understanding and complying with CSU’s travel policies.

Travel Registration Requirements

All CSU-sponsored travel must be registered; student travel is registered with the Education Abroad Center and employee travel is registered into the KUALI TEM system through Risk Management. Upon completion of registration, the traveler and/or group leader will receive an authorization email that should be attached to travel paperwork.

Education Abroad Participants

Contact the Education Abroad Center for more information.

Individual Travelers (conference, research, field work, etc.)

Register travel through the CSU Individual International Travel application. Contact for assistance.

Departmental Group Travel (faculty/staff led experiences with students that are not managed by the Office of International Programs)

The Office of International Programs is charged with tracking all student travel abroad and works closely with departments to create educational and well-planned group experiences abroad. Information below outlines the planning process needed to best support CSU departments and individuals as they create these important opportunities. OIP encourages departments to begin the program planning and approval process as early as possible.

  • Step 1: Submit program planning document(s) – Due at least 4 months prior to travel
  • Step 2: Attend Logistics, Health and Safety Review with International Travel Oversight Committee To be completed at least 3 months prior to travel. Necessary for higher risk countries/activities.
  • Step 3: Participant Registration and OIP Authorization To be completed at least 2 months prior to departure
  • Step 4: Health and Safety Orientation with Campus Health Network and/or OIP Staff – To be completed at least 1-2 months prior to travel
  • Step 5: Purchase Airfare and Finalize Logistics – Note: Student airfare should not be purchased until Steps 1-4 are complete

Contact for assistance.

Employee Work Travel

Register travel through the CSU Kuali TEM Travel System.

Travel to Higher Risk Destinations

Travelers interested in traveling to higher risk countries must follow the International Travel Oversight Committee (ITOC) petition process. See Higher Risk Travel

Insurance Requirement

All CSU students and graduate students traveling internationally for university purposes must have travel health insurance with evacuation and repatriation coverage. All travelers should maintain US health insurance while abroad in case of emergency travel back to the U.S., emergency evacuation during a serious medical incident, and to comply with the Affordable Care Act continuous enrollment requirement. See International Insurance

CSU Protection of Minors Policy Abroad

CSU faculty-led international programs that meet the criteria for interaction with minors must comply with the CSU Protection of Minors policy in order to reduce the risk of injury to minors and to promote an environment conducive to the accomplishment of the University’s mission. The supporting department and Education Abroad staff work to meet the requirements of this policy.

Reporting Incidents Abroad

CSU faculty, staff or students can report a health or safety incident abroad or a student of concern. See Emergencies

CSU Education Abroad staff follows all federal and CSU mandates for responding to and reporting health and safety incidents, including mandatory Title 9 and Clery Act reporting of incidents.

If you would like to call to report a non-emergency incident, please call CSU’s International Risk Manager at (970) 491-4334.

What is, and is not, a CSU-sanctioned education abroad experience

All students participating in any educational experiences abroad, with the exception of personal travel, must go through a registration process with the CSU Office of International Programs – Education Abroad unit.

CSU maintains a robust array of education abroad programming; this includes CSU-managed programs as well as Affiliate Programs, which are programs managed by vetted companies with longstanding relationships with CSU. Occasionally, students prefer to attend programs abroad that are not affiliated with CSU Education Abroad, which may be allowed and treated similarly to CSU and Affiliate programs as long as the student completes CSU’s education abroad registration process.

Student travelers that do not complete the CSU education abroad process will have their experience treated as personal travel rather than a CSU-sanctioned and supported experience. Failure to register means that students are not enrolled in CSU’s international insurance, do not have access to CSU emergency assistance and may not receive transfer credits, financial aid, travel reimbursements, and/or continuous CSU enrollment status.

Choosing not to complete the CSU education abroad process acts as a waiver by the traveler, on behalf of the traveler and the traveler’s family or representatives, of all CSU related obligations and benefits, including without limitation, those detailed above. CSU will have no responsibility, liability or obligations with respect to participation in travel that is not CSU-sanctioned.