Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the most commonly asked questions about the education abroad experience and process. Please read these carefully. If you do not find the answer to your question below or in the Education Abroad Handbook, feel free to contact us with your question.

How many times can I go abroad?

You may participate on an education abroad program for two semesters or one academic year. If you wish to be abroad longer than this, please speak with an Education Abroad coordinator, as exceptions may be granted with support from your academic department. There is no limit on the number of summers that you may go abroad.

What if my GPA is less than what is required?

Some programs may be flexible on the GPA that they accept – check with the program provider. You may also ask about other programs to nearby sites that have different GPA requirements. Note that all students must be in good academic standing (a 2.0 GPA or higher) to participate on an education abroad program.

Can I go abroad my first semester at CSU?

No. You must spend at least one semester on the CSU campus as a degree-seeking student before participating on an education abroad program.

Can I go abroad my last semester at CSU?

Yes, but there are a number of things to consider. These may include the impact of a delayed transcript on admission to graduate school or employment, petitioning for credits to apply to your degree after you return, and eligibility for financial aid. Talk with an Education Abroad coordinator for more details.

What special circumstances might affect my participation on an education abroad program?

If you fall into any of the categories listed below, or if you have other individual circumstances to consider, please discuss these issues with an Education Abroad coordinator during the program selection process to ensure that you choose the appropriate program to fit your needs.

  • Student athletes
  • Graduate students
  • Students with disabilities
  • Students who are not U.S. citizens
  • ROTC or military students
  • Non-degree seeking or
  • Postbaccalaureate students
  • Seniors nearing graduation

I have a disability. Can I still participate on an education abroad program?

Absolutely! Students with disabilities are encouraged to explore opportunities abroad. Advance planning and flexibility are essential.

Do I need to be a full-time student the semester before I go abroad?

In most cases, full-time student status is required the semester prior to your term abroad. Consult with an Education Abroad coordinator on your specific situation.

What if I cannot find what I am looking for in a CSU-sponsored education abroad program?

Colorado State University students are able to take advantage of a wide variety of educational opportunities around the world. Students may participate on CSU-sponsored or affiliated programs, participate in an authorized program sponsored by another university or education abroad organization, or enroll as a visiting student in an accredited university abroad. There are many opportunities, and with research and dedication, students are able to find a program that suits their needs.

Where can I get any immunizations required for my travel abroad?

Any CSU student, whether using CSU insurance or other insurance, may visit the CSU Travel Clinic for a small fee ($50 or less plus the costs of immunizations or medication). Students traveling to the same destination may visit the clinic together for a reduced cost.

Can my financial aid be released early because I am leaving for my program before aid is disbursed?

No. Students studying at universities in Australia, New Zealand, Asia, South America, and other Southern Hemisphere sites often will encounter this issue. Even if your program starts before financial aid is disbursed, you will not be able to request an advance of your financial aid. However, some programs will defer payment of fees until financial aid is disbursed. Check with your specific program for more information.

Does the number of credits I take affect my financial aid?

Yes. Education abroad credit requirements are the same as those for on-campus study. In most cases, you must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours for semester programs and a minimum of 6 credit hours for summer programs. For specific details, check with the Student Financial Services office for credit requirements for your particular aid package.

Do my grades abroad affect my future eligibility for financial aid?

Yes. Although grades earned abroad are not factored into your GPA, they are considered in determining your eligibility for financial aid in the same way that they would be if you had studied here on campus. Read and be familiar with the policies on the Student Financial Services website:

Who is responsible for taking care of my financial aid while I am overseas?

YOU are responsible. The Education Abroad office and Student Financial Services staff can advise you in making the necessary arrangements to ensure you receive financial aid funds when they are disbursed. Keep in mind that you must make these arrangements prior to your departure, or your aid may be delayed or may not be released at all.

Can I participate on an education abroad program in a country with a travel warning?

CSU does not automatically authorize students to travel abroad to a country under a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning or countries designated as high risk; however, there are some situations where authorization may be granted. If your preferred program takes place in a country with a travel warning or a country deemed higher risk by the CSU International Travel Oversight Committee, you may petition for an exception; however, these are not guaranteed. CSU reserves the right to refuse authorization for travel to higher risk destinations or for higher risk activities. Travel warnings issued after the start of a program will trigger a review by CSU of the circumstances surrounding the warning. CSU reserves the right to suspend or cancel a program when a significant health or safety risk is raised.

Can I work or volunteer while abroad?

In some countries, students do have legal status to work while abroad, but this is rare. Many students complete volunteer work while overseas. Volunteering provides an excellent opportunity to become more involved in your host community, to meet local residents with similar interests, and to utilize foreign language skills.

Will I need to buy international health insurance for the period of my time abroad?

Students participating on an education abroad program must have major medical insurance to cover all eventualities while abroad. A few programs may include health insurance coverage as part of the program fees. Check the program-specific information for details about health insurance coverage. If you do not have major medical insurance coverage, speak with an Education Abroad coordinator.

Where can I learn about health and safety issues in the countries I plan to visit abroad?

The U.S. Department of State has a website designed specifically for students traveling abroad that covers everything from country-specific information and health emergencies abroad to what to do if you are the victim of a crime:

The CSU Health Network Travel Clinic also provides low cost and comprehensive consultations where you can discuss required immunizations, travel health care issues, and recommendations for dealing with common health programs with a health care professional. Schedule your consult as early as possible by calling (970) 491-7121. We also encourage you to discuss any questions or concerns with your Education Abroad coordinator.

Do you offer help in finding someone to sublease my apartment while I am abroad?

The Education Abroad office does not provide assistance in finding someone to sublease your apartment. Students should seek assistance at the Off-Campus Life office located in the LSC.